Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Kickin' it with Mastering Genealogical Proof and The Strokes


As a child of the 80s, I grew up on MTV (those early Van Halen videos with David Lee Roth are the best!!), She-Ra, Jem and the Holograms, and so, so much Nintendo. I credit the amount of Super Mario Bros. I played as the reason I am able to memorize and duplicate how I located a piece of evidence or tested a hypothesis while doing genealogical research.  The same part of my brain that I use for that, is what I would use to remember the route to eventually beat Bowser. I like Mastering Genealogical Proof (MGP) because when you pull back to review how Thomas W. Jones teaches us to understand and evaluate genealogical proof, it is a bit like Nintendo from the 80s where skill, memorization, theories, hypotheses and cyclical thinking is applied to eventually problem solve and form a conclusion.

It is a challenge. I did not read or study Mastering Genealogical Proof once: I read it multiple times, listened to it multiple times, and participated in a MGP study group and mentored a study group. I have a physical copy of the book where it is flagged, highlighted, and penciled in. I also have a Kindle version so that I can set it to read to me to have it in the background when I am in mood to have subliminal learning so that it becomes second nature.

And then The Stokes' album dropped the same time that MGP did! Comedown Machine, was released in 2013 (personally, I will listen to anything by Julian Casablancas) and this album is one of the best by The Strokes, just like MGP is one of the best albums of Jones.
Mastering Genealogical Proof, book format
Mastering Genealogical Proof, Kindle
The Strokes, Comedown Machine