Saturday, December 31, 2016

Kickin' it with Bettinger and Metro Area

As I mentioned in an earlier post, 2016 was the year that I studied DNA so that I could better understand it and apply that methodology to my genealogy skill set. Fortunately, Genetic Genealogy in Practice was published by the National Genealogical Society and around the same time Blaine Bettinger's book, The Family Tree Guide to DNA Testing and Genetic Genealogy also came out. I read them in that order and wished I had began with the Guide and then the NGS publication because that order would have taken me from a seed to tree blooming progression. Bettinger's common sense approach to explaining DNA appealed to the way I tend to learn. The Guide is a very aesthetically pleasing publication and the discussion of different tests and then the analytical application of them to genealogy along with visuals assisted in the methods sinking in. I also purchased Blaine's audio recording from FleetwoodOnsite from the 2016 FGS Conference on the Genealogical Proof Standard and DNA to assist with understanding. I think I will wrap up 2016 with a better understanding of DNA, but there is so much more to it to learn as it grows as a field, tests develop, and proof arguments are published.

Metro Area is the sweetest hold style music you have ever heard. When coupled with Bettinger's work, you can feel it sinking in.

Blaine Bettinger, The Family Tree Guide to DNA Testing and Genetic Genealogy.

DNA and the Genealogical Proof Standards, #27510, FleetwoodOnsite.

Metro Area, self titled album.